Certified Mediator and Arbitrator Program
200 Hours of Study
$2895 (textbooks not included)
Contact us with questions. If you prefer to pay over the phone, please call Genna Murphy directly at 303-862-0289.
Whether you are looking to improve your conflict resolution skills and abilities in the workplace, at home, or in private practice, the Certified Mediator and Arbitrator program is for you. This three course program will provide you with a comprehensive knowledge and skill set and end with a Certification Exam based on your studies.
In this program, you will learn how to effectively help others negotiate and collaborate through difficult disputes. This program provides Mediators Without Borders® training on the InAccord Conflict Analysis model for both mediation and arbitration practice, in addition to practice opportunities where you can apply your new skills in simulated role plays. As part of the arbitration training, you will learn how to facilitate a hearing, weigh evidence and testimony, and render an award.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will take a final exam for certification that is included in your tuition costs. You may also submit your application to be as part of the Mediators Without Borders referral network.
During the course of this program you will learn to do the following:
- Articulate the use of the InAccord® Conflict Analysis model for use in mediation and arbitration
- Examine the three phases and four stages of the inAccord® model used in mediation and arbitration
- Explore the pre-interview and post-interview phases of the InAccord® mediation and arbitration model
- Apply the Touchstone Skills of questioning, reflecting, and reframing to simulated mediation and arbitration cases
- Apply inAccord® surveys to simulated mediation and arbitration cases, and analyze the results
- Learn the three phases and four stages of the InAccord Arbitration process
This online program provides you with the knowledge, skills, and applied practice opportunities to become a professional Mediator and Certified Arbitrator. These skills can be used to advance you in your current career or to help you jumpstart a career as a professional Mediator and Arbitrator.
The program includes skill building opportunities in areas such as communication, negotiation, and facilitation, all using the InAccord® Conflict Analysis model for mediation and arbitration practice. You will learn the three phases that are used in the InAccord® model: pre-interview, mediation procedure, and post interview. Then, you will apply this knowledge to simulated role plays, focused on workplace and commercial disputes. You will learn a similar model for the Mediators Without Borders® Arbitration training. Arbitration differs from mediation in that an arbitrator actually renders decisions in disputes whereas a mediator facilitates a collaborative solution designed by the parties in dispute. As part of the arbitration training, you will learn how to facilitate a hearing, weigh evidence and testimony, and render an award.
This interactive online training program includes critical analysis papers and threaded discussions to help deepen your understanding of mediation and arbitration using the InAccord® Conflict Analysis model. The program also provides web based role play opportunities where you can practice your skills with other students, in addition to a mentor to guide you and answer any questions you may have.
Upon successful completion of the program, you may sit for the certification exam to complete the qualifications to become Certified in Mediation and Arbitration. Additionally, you may submit an application to be included in the Mediators Without Borders referral network.
Upon registering, you are given an initial six (6) months to complete the program.
- Justice and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Overview of InAccord® Conflict Analysis Model
- Phases and Stages of the InAccord® Conflict Analysis Model
- The Touchstone Skills Part I
- The Touchstone Skills Part II
- Crafting the Memorandum of Agreement
- Special Issues In Mediation
- Legal Processes and Ethics
- InAccord® Conflict Analysis in Practice
- Touchstone Skills in Practice
- InAccord® Demo Practice
- Facilitating InAccord® Phase Two, Stage 1 Interventions
- Facilitating the InAccord® Caucus
- InAccord® Phase Two, Stages 2 & 3 Interventions
- InAccord® Phase Two, Stage 4 Interventions
- Ethical Dilemmas and Mitigation
- Arbitration, Justice, and Ethics
- InAccord® Conflict Analysis model for Arbitration & Phase One
- The Preliminary Conference
- Directing the Hearing: Part I
- Directing the Hearing: Part II
- Closing the Hearing
- Rendering the Award
- International Arbitration
Mediation and Arbitration Certification Exam
At the conclusion of the three course program, students may elect to sit for the Mediators Without Borders Professional Certification Exam. This exam has been created by the Mediators Without Borders team with the assistance of the Center for Educational Measurement. The exam is part of a three part certification program which also includes case logs and document submissions.